Head of Risk (f/m/x)
RemoteGermany, Berlin, BerlinBusiness - Legal
About lemon.markets 🍋
We're on a mission to open 100 million brokerage accounts within the next ten years. Building the infrastructure for FinTech companies to launch an investing feature or product in Europe. Delivering the full value chain of brokerage through one API.
Over the last quarters, we focused on bringing the first version of the API to the market. Thousands of developers signed up and hundreds started to build their individual use cases with us. This resulted in 80+ inquiries from companies to launch their own stock trading UI with lemon.markets. With 15 million of fresh funding, we are now taking the next steps toward our mission: Building out our capabilities to allow (Fin)Tech companies to offer investment opportunities to their customers.
We have experienced first hand that brokerage infrastructure is broken. It’s a messy and complex problem that will take time to solve. But that’s exactly what we enjoy. Going to places nobody else dares and shielding our customers from the biggest pain. This not only creates tons of value when done right, but attracts the smartest minds - because we believe outlier companies are built by exceptional people like you.
As Head of Risk you will be the first in your role, tasked with building the foundations of the risk management department within lemon.markets. You will analyze our setup, propose risk frameworks and implement them across the organization. That means you will draft policies and handbooks for our internal and external stakeholders as well as support the development of our own risk models. As Head of Risk you will play a key role in the development & launch of our brokerage API for companies.
At lemon.markets we value ownership a lot. Meaning you will have autonomy in shaping your area of responsibility. Reporting to our back-office managing director, and working with a team of experienced tech, legal and regulatory professionals alongside you. This is your opportunity to set up the right control frameworks from the ground up and grow a team of passionate professionals around it. Leverage your previous experiences and helping us to build the investment infrastructure for the next 100 million retail investors in Europe.
- Establish, design and continuously enhance the entire risk management framework of lemon.markets, covering all relevant risk categories and regulatory compliance in a company devoted to brokerage operations for B2B-partners and their customers.
- Coordinate the overall management of business operations from a risk management perspective, covering outsourced services, business continuity and security aspects.
- Define core risk policies such as e.g. risk strategy (incl. risk appetite), risk inventory, risk bearing capacity and ICAAP/ILAAP.
- Design and monitor key risk indicators, as well as calculate risk figures for all operational, financial and strategic risk types.
- Conduct stress testing.
- Prepare regular risk reports for internal and external stakeholders and cooperate with internal and external auditors and regulators.
- Add a risk management & controlling point of view to business, e.g. during new product processes.
- Play a key role in building up the foundations of the company’s internal control system.
- Work closely with all departments and report directly to the managing director back office, supporting the leadership team in steering and controlling the financial institute.
You will be successful in this role if:
- You have gained profound experience in risk management in the German or European financial industry — in a bank or other financial service provider. And by that you understand German & European financial market regulation very well.
- You have sound knowledge in the identification and evaluation of banking risks, as well as a good overview and knowledge of business processes in the field of financial services and their regulatory and accounting requirements.
- You are able to analyze and optimise organisational procedures and processes under risk criteria; ideally you have gained experience in drafting organizational documents within the meaning of section AT 5 of the MaRisk.
- “This is not my job!” is not part of your vocabulary - you are motivated by nature to deliver value for our customers by taking initiative and challenging the status quo.
- You're able to apply complex regulatory frameworks to real life scenarios in a tech driven environment — this isn't always easy and will require you to think outside the box!
- You can prioritize effectively and are able to sift through the noise and assess what's critical for the current priority.
- You understand what working in a startup or a similar lean organization is like. Working in an early-stage startup will be high paced & unstructured at times, amazing & impactful at the same time.
How we take care of you:
🚀 Competitive compensation package:
We will offer you a mix of cash and stock options based on your appetite for upside.
💎 Make a real impact:
Shape the experience for our customers and us alike. Decide on tools, processes and our go-to-market while building, learning and growing together.
🕑 Flexible working hours:
We value focus time. Encouraging everyone to minimize fixed meetings and leverage asynchronous communication.
💻 Build your perfect setup:
Mac/Linux, Mechanical Keyboard, Screen. These are not expenses but investments. Please tell us what is needed to make you productive, and we will take care of it.
🏢 Onsite first, but remote flexible:
We all believe that in - person collaboration is an integral part of working together, but offer flexibility for remote working. Once a quarter the whole team meets for our offsite to honer this belief. In case you want to relocate to Berlin, we can provide assistance and visa sponsorship.
📈 Grow with us:
We take your personal development seriously, meaning that we make sure to constantly mentor and challenge you so that you can reach your next level and beyond.
👶🏽 Get the flexibility you need:
Whether you have a family or a passion that you want to follow on the side. We want to offer you a setting that fits your current stage in life.
As an equal opportunity employer, lemon.markets is committed to building an inclusive workplace. The company welcomes people from all different backgrounds, including age, citizenship, ethnic and racial origins, gender identities, individuals with disabilities, marital status, religions and ideologies, and sexual orientations to apply.
About the process:
Hiring can be an exhausting process, especially when you're the one trying to get hired. Therefore, we try to make this a fast and transparent process. Additionally, you will always have one contact person guiding you through the process and helping you to schedule meetings, and setting you up on a path of success. Your process will look like this:
- Get to know each other - Teresa - Chief of Staff | 45 minutes
- Get to know the team - Andreas - General Counsel | 60 minutes
- Brokerage Deep Dive - Markus - MD | 60 minutes
- Meet the lemoneers at our HQ | 150 minutes
- Meet the Brokerage team | 60 minutes
- Ask us anything with the team | 45 minutes
- Meet the Founder | 45 minutes