General Counsel (f/m/x)
RemoteGermany, Berlin, BerlinBusiness - Legal
As General Counsel, you will play a key role in guiding lemon.markets on its future path while owning responsibility for our legal and regulatory strategy across the company. This will involve providing comprehensive legal guidance to various teams while working to expand our internal legal and compliance core competencies in our efforts to build the best Trading API for developers. This role will include the following responsibilities:
- Build up our legal and compliance function from scratch — this is a greenfield project that will enable you to hire and manage a team of lawyers while creating a lasting impact
- Identify and lead the development of key regulatory policy positions and strategies across lemon.markets
- Use your expertise on financial market regulation to prepare and manage regulatory authorization projects
- Provide ongoing legal advice on all legal aspects over the course of the development of new products in the financial regulatory field
- Guide privacy initiatives across the organization and stay up to date with relevant GDPR regulations
- Support business and procurement functions with drafting and reviewing a broad range of commercial agreements pertaining to lemon.markets including merchant services agreements, software development and SaaS agreements, terms and conditions and vendor agreements
- Engage with outside counsel, consultants, trade associations and other third-party partners on regulatory policy matters
- Track and analyze regulatory policy developments for senior management and cross-functional compliance, communications and business counterparts.
- Lead administration and communication with German regulators, such as preparing regulatory notifications and obtaining responses to regulatory requests for information.
- This role will have you working closely with our leadership team and reporting directly into the Founder & CEO
This opportunity should accelerate your career trajectory. We want you to grow with us from being an integral individual contributor to managing teams and becoming a true leader in our organization. 🚀
- ⚖️ You are fully certified to practice law in Germany. You have completed the first and second state law examinations with excellent grades.
- 💼 You have 5+ years of professional legal experience. You have worked in a top tier law firm or as an in-house lawyer in the banking/financial services industry.
- 🏁 You are solution oriented and always strive to find a way forward. In your eyes, a legal challenge is a unique problem to solve, not a blocker.
- 🤝 You bring to the table a service mentality. You enjoy supporting teams while being able to naturally empathize with your audience and communicate in an effective and respective way.
- 👑 You thrive on ownership. “This is not my job!” is not part of your vocabulary - you are intrinsically motivated to deliver value for our customers by taking initiative and challenging the status quo.
- 🎲 You are able to apply complex regulatory frameworks to real life scenarios in a tech driven environment. This isn't always easy and will require you to think outside the box!
- 💡 You are customer obsessed. Here at lemon.markets we believe this is the best way to develop a product. This impacts our work across the entire company, no matter what role.
- 🏦 Bonus: You have expertise and demonstrable interest in financial markets regulation. Specifically, in Securities Infrastructure Law and AML Law (e.g. MiFid II, WpHG, WpIG and MaRisk), as well as FinTech compliance.
- Competitive Compensation. Adjustable with your appetite for stock options.
- Obligatory stock options program. We want you to be a true owner for the long term.
- Full time contract, flexible when needed. We try to find the perfect balance for you.
- We will bring you to Berlin. If required, we will support you with your relocation & Visa sponsorship.
- 🕑 Flexible working hours: We value focus time. Encouraging everyone to minimise fixed meetings and leverage asynchronous communication.
- 💎 Make an impact: Shape the experience for our customers and us alike. Decide on tools, processes and our go-to market, while we are building, learning and growing together.
- 🧑🏽💻 Build your perfect setup: Mac/Linux, Mechanical Keyboard, Screen. These are not expenses but investments. Tell us what is needed to make you productive, and we'll take care of it.
- 🏢 Office or at home: We want to provide you with a work environment that works best for you. You have the possibility to work remotely or in our office located in the heart of Berlin.
- 🎳 Open Culture: modern methods and a diverse, creative culture with a collaborative international team. We also really enjoy a good board game now and then and are highly competitive in code names
- 📈 Grow with us: We take your personal development seriously. This means that we make sure to constantly mentor and challenge you, so you can reach the next level.
About the process
Hiring can be an exhausting process, especially when you're the one getting hired. Therefore, we make this experience fast and transparent for you. This means you will always have one contact person guiding you through the process and helping you with scheduling meetings and making introductions, so we can complete all stages within 10-14 days.
- Phase 1: Meet the Founder
- Phase 2: Meet the Team
- Phase 3: Meet our Advisors
- Phase 4: Get an offer