Berlin, Berlin, GermanyFinance
About lemon.markets 🍋
Our mission is providing better opportunities to invest in capital markets. By empowering FinTechs and Banks to offer investment products, we help create financial well-being for their customers. In pursuit of this goal we strive to open 100 million securities accounts within Europe in this decade.
lemon.markets builds infrastructure for financial services and technology companies powering the next generation of investment products. From enabling a FinTech to launch their first investment product, over allowing e.g. a Neobank to embed investing into their product to bringing investing into a completely new context. Our API-first infrastructure makes launching an investment product customer-centric and compliant. We abstract all complexity for our partners through a well documented API, a self-service customer operations portal and operating in a clear regulatory framework. Enabling partners to launch in weeks, not months.
We have experienced first hand that brokerage infrastructure is broken. Building an investment product used to be highly expensive, challenging and cumbersome. We ease this pain by shielding our partners & their customers from the underlying complexity - and with that we make investing more accessible to everyone. Because that’s exactly what we enjoy, going to places nobody else dares and solving hard problems. This not only creates tons of value when done right, but attracts the smartest minds - because outlier companies are built by exceptional (& diverse) people like you.
Your mission is to be an integral part of building and scaling the Finance function within lemon.markets. As an accountant, you will be accountable for maintaining and assessing our financial records and be responsible for a wide range of finance-related tasks. In addition, you will develop processes and policies and support other functions in their finance tasks - and become the point of contact for external stakeholders. As such, you will play an important role in establishing lemon.markets as the go-to provider for the launch of investment products in Europe.
At lemon.markets we value ownership a lot. Meaning you have a lot of autonomy in shaping your area of responsibility. Reporting directly to our Head of Finance and collaborating closely with Risk, Product, Compliance, among others, making sure our Finance function is set up for success from day one. This is your opportunity to have an impact, not just on the Finance department, but also our product and lemon.markets itself.
- Perform correct and timely bookkeeping, including monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual reports including budget/actual variance analysis and other analyses.
- Be responsible for processing all accounting matters, in particular all business transactions that occur in a financial services institution and its parent company (accounts receivable, accounts payable, asset accounting and VAT).
- Drive posting of manual commission settlements and manual credit notes and as well as the administration of the dunning processes.
- Analyze and reconcile general ledger, sub-ledger and bank accounts and resolving unreconciled amounts.
- Prepare and release payment transaction files and monitor successful transmission.
- Prepare the monthly advance VAT declaration and the annual VAT statement in collaboration with the tax adviser.
- Work closely with other back-office functions, including Risk and Compliance, collaborating on special projects (e.g. introduction of a ledger system, process automation, regulatory reporting integration).
- Be a point of contact for our external auditors during the audits for your area of responsibility and support the team by the audit coordination.
- Support the Head of Finance in planning and forecasting activities.
You will be successful in this role if:
- You have gained relevant experience working within Accounting or Controlling of a Bank, Fintech or other regulated institutions. Experience in an Auditing company is a plus.
- You are well-versed in the handling and use of accounting regulations according to HGB and RechKredV (and preferably IFRS).
- You have a keen interest in finance processes, financial products and their accounting treatments. Experience in group accounting and consolidation is a plus.
- Growing investing opportunities excites you. Our mission resonates with you and you are keen to contribute your expertise & knowledge, working along side experts from Brokerage, Product & Operations.
- Building up a function from scratch excites you. Are you enthusiastic about figures and analyses and would you like to play a key role in building-up this important finance function? A high degree of personal responsibility, organizational talent, flexibility, hands-on mentality and a high degree of self-motivation are your driving forces.
- Communication and collaboration come naturally to you. Business proficiency (min. B1) in both German and English is needed - you are able to succinctly communicate requirements and technical topics as well as effectively communicate risks and opportunities you notice. And your strong ability to work in a team and your service orientation will help you to maintain an overview during stressful periods.
- You understand what working in a startup or a similar lean organisation is like. That means, you can move quickly, take ownership and focus on what's truly important.
How we take care of you:
🚀 Competitive compensation package:
We will offer you a mix of cash and stock options based on your appetite for upside.
💎 Make a real impact:
Shape the experience for our Partners and us alike. Decide on tools, processes and our go-to-market while building, learning and growing together.
🕑 Flexible working hours:
We value focus time. Encouraging everyone to minimise fixed meetings and leverage asynchronous communication.
💻 Build your perfect setup:
Mac, Mechanical Keyboard, Screen. These are not expenses but investments. Please tell us what is needed to make you productive, and we will take care of it.
🏢 Onsite first, but remote flexible:
We all believe that personal collaboration is an integral part of working together, but offer flexibility for to work from home. Once a quarter the whole team meets for our offsite to honour this belief. In case you want to relocate to Berlin, we can provide assistance.
📈 Grow with us:
We take your personal development seriously, meaning that we make sure to constantly mentor and challenge you so that you can reach your next level and beyond.
👶🏽 Get the flexibility you need:
Whether you have a family or a passion that you want to follow on the side. We want to offer you a setting that fits your current stage in life.
As an equal opportunity employer, lemon.markets is committed to building an inclusive workplace. The company welcomes people from all different backgrounds, including age, citizenship, ethnic and racial origins, gender identities, individuals with disabilities, marital status, religions and ideologies, and sexual orientations to apply.
About the process
- Get to know each other - Teresa - Chief of Staff | 45 minutes
- Deep Dive Finance - Julia - Head of Finance | 60 minutes
- Meet the Leadership - Dirk - MD Backoffice | 60 minutes
- Meet us at our HQ
- Meet the Brokerage team - Laura (VP Brokerage), Alex (Head of Program Management), Niko (Head of Compliance) | 45 minutes
- Case study - Guido (Head of Risk), Julia (Head of Finance), Dirk (MD Back Office) | 60 minutes
- Ask us anything - A Selection of lemoneers | 45 minutes